The CEFC invites applications for the following position:
Part-Time Research Assistant, China Press
Location: Hong Kong
Type of position: P/T
Start date: 22 July 2013
The French Centre for Research on Contemporary China (CEFC), based in Hong Kong, seeks a well-organized, energetic research assistant (P/T) to coordinate its monitoring and analysis of the Chinese-language press.
Candidates should be interested in working in a friendly, high-paced, collaborative trilingual (English, Chinese, French), academic environment, and have a strong academic interest in contemporary China (e.g. politics, economics, international relations, etc.) and/or PRC and Hong Kong press.
The Research Assistant will work closely with the CEFC researchers and associate researchers to contribute to the CEFC’s research and publication activities, including:
- Supporting research work on a wide range of thematic issues covered by the Centre (politics, economics, society, culture) through monitoring mainland and Hong Kong newspapers, Websites, journals, and other sources;
- Maintaining and developing the Centre’s thematically-organized digital press archive, and small library (this includes some administrative tasks such as keeping track of subscriptions, book orders, etc.);
- Producing in-depth news analysis notes and presenting them at the Centre’s fortnightly or monthly press meetings, preparing issue briefs on selected topics and other research assistance as needed for individual projects;
- The Research Assistant is strongly encouraged to take initiative in submitting issue briefs or other research work to China Perspectives, and to participate in the CEFC’s research activities. S/he will have the opportunity to attend the Centre’s events, which may include lectures, workshops, and international academic conferences.
- The candidate should hold an master’s degree in a relevant field (journalism, political science, economics, international relations, or another academic field), and have conducted research on China; Doctoral candidates are welcomed;
- Excellent proficiency with mainland China media and academic material, including on-line research; experience in mainland China and good knowledge of Chinese politics would be a plus;
- The candidate must be fluent in English and Mandarin, with familiarity of both traditional and simplified characters; and excellent writing skills in both languages. Good computer skills are essential. Knowledge of, or interest in, French, is a plus, but not required.
Salary commensurate with experience. The CEFC offers flexible hours and an attractive vacation policy. The CEFC’s resources will be available to the Research Assistant for his/her own research activities, outside of his/her working time.
Apply immediately. Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and two reference contacts to Ms Heipo Leung firstname.lastname@example.org . The subject of the email should be “Application: Research Assistant”.
The CEFC is part of a network of research institutions established around the world with funding from the French Foreign Ministry and the CNRS (French Centre for scientific research). It functions both as an independent academic institution hosting individual research projects, and as a think tank devoted to analyzing current developments in contemporary China. It publishes a quarterly peer-reviewed journal in two languages, China Perspectives and Perspectives chinoises.